Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Minute to Win It (Part 5 of 5)


It's the final countdown (I use this song in my class the day before the big end of year assessment)! My last 10 Minute to Win It Challenges! 

26. Clipboard Tennis: For this activity, 2 students will use clipboards to volley a balled-up piece of paper back and forth. Meanwhile, I will ask 6 questions, stopping mid-sentence if the paper hits the floor until they are volleying again. The students should take turns answering the 6 questions.  Once six questions are answered correctly or the buzzer sounds, the game is over.


                                         


27. Ring Finger: I use the Halloween spider rings for this challenge, in which the student must associate 10 items to a particular term and place a ring on each of their fingers to represent each correct response in 60 seconds or less.  For example, if the unit we were studying was American Indians, I might say "1. hunted buffalo", and the student would respond with "Lakota," then I might say, "2, lived in the Eastern Woodlands," the student should respond, "Iroquois." I do this 10 times. I can also see this activity being done with geographic regions, scientific method, geometric figures, spanish vocabulary words, etc. 

28. Paper Clip Chain: In this activity, the selecting student's team must answer questions correctly and attach paper clips to one another to form a chain. I give the team about 8 paper clips. Some may get more than 1 paper clip if the teams are small.  I start the questioning with the selecting student. If they get the question correct, they hand their paper clip to the next player. That player connects their paper clip to the first student's clip. If they can also answer the question correctly, they can pass their chain to the next player. If the paper clip chain is all in one lengthy piece before the buzzer sounds, that team has successfully completed the challenge.

29. Puzzled: I love doing this activity with maps, but it works with any image. After printing the image on 8.5 X 11 paper, I write a question on the back of the sheet. Then, I cut the image into 9-12 pieces of varying shapes and sizes. The team that selects this challenge, must tape the puzzle together, flip it over, read the question, and answer it correctly in 60 seconds or less to complete this task.

30. Marble Track:  The student who selects this challenge must build a marble track using sets of staples.  Usually I pre-set modeling clay, books, or other items to vary the elevation of the potential track (students can always add or take away from what I've set). I always mark a starting point and have a cup at the end point. Then, when I start the timer, I have the student set up the track with staples and additional supplies (if necessary). When he/she acknowledges that the track is ready, I ask him/her a question. Once the student answers the question correctly, he/she has to drop the marble at the beginning of the track and hope it makes it all the way to the cup.  If it doesn't, they must fix their track before being asked another question and sending a marble down the track. Here is a short version of the track:


31. Marble Yard: The student who selected this challenge must answer three questions correctly, and then spend the remaining time trying to roll a marble down a yardstick and into a designated area. If the student can get one marble to sit in the designated zone, than they have completed the challenge successfully.

                                   


32. Balloon Blows: Set up 4 cups at the edge of a desk or table. Each of the cups should have an index card with a question inside. Give the student a balloon. The student must inflate the balloon and try to blow off the cups and answer the questions. They will have to inflate the balloon multiple times. If they can knock off all 4 cups and answer all 4 questions correctly, they've successfully completed the task. 

33. Timely Order: For this activity, I provide handouts with pictures/text representing events from history that the student's team must put in chronological order. I usually give 10-12 events that they must put in order in less than a minute.  

34. Marshmallow Mouthful*: I'VE NEVER TRIED THIS. I'm not sure, if I will or not. But, for this activity, a student must start with one marshmallow in their mouth. Then, they have to answer a question correctly. Once they do, they put another marshmallow in their mouth. Six marshmallows and six correct answers in 60 seconds, and the mission is accomplished. 

35. Ping Pong Tissue Box*: I'VE NEVER TRIED THIS. Have a student tie an empty tissue box (using rope/yarn) around their waist. Remove the plastic part where the tissues were grabbed with snotty hands and put 5 ping pong balls inside the tissue box. Student must bounce around to knock the balls out. If they can knock three balls out and answer 3 questions, they win.

I hope you've enjoyed reading about these M2Wi challenges. The students love them. They don't have to be used as part of a M2Wi game, they can be used and adapted in many different ways. Just get creative :)

No comments:

Post a Comment