Saturday, July 20, 2013

Minute to Win It (Part 2 of 5)

Below are 5 more M2Wi activities. I hope that many of you will take these activities and somehow incorporate at least one of them into your classroom or that your creative engine is sparked to do something else based on what you read.

6. Ping Pong Cups: A similar challenge to the Balloon Pop activity that I described in my previous post. This time, however, instead of hanging balloons on your bulletin board, staple plastic cups to it.  Again, I use this one on a map of the United States. The student must give a fact about where a cup is located and then throw a ping pong ball in its direction in the hopes of making it in. One made basket is all they need in 60 seconds. The student gets one shot for every fact given.  Some of the facts students give might be how the U.S. acquired particular territories, historical events that happened in that area, or geographic information.

7. Putt Putt: Prior to class, I tape off different "zones" and place the 'hole' at a particular spot. SIDE NOTE: I used a section of the bank in an old monopoly board game that I found in my classroom to use as my 'hole'. I suppose you could use a cup or mark a spot on the floor or a wall.  I ask the student who selected this challenge 5 questions. Each time they answer a question correctly they move up a zone, closer to the hole. If they miss the question, they must stay put. After the 5 questions have been asked, wherever the student is, they have an unlimited amount of putts to make the ball into the hole one time. I use my own personal putter and golf ball. I suppose you could use any stick and ball to make this work. Usually another student is chosen before the time begins to help return the ball if it doesn't go in the hole.

8. Paper Airplane: This challenge also uses zones. A student must make a paper airplane and put it into flight. The zone the airplane lands in will determine how many questions must be answered correctly in order for a student to win this challenge. If the student rushes through the airplane and makes a poor one, it most likely will not fly far, and they'll have to answer more questions correctly. If the student takes their time, they may create a better plane, and in return, only have to answer 0 or 1 question correct. I sometimes say if they can hit the back wall in the air the time will stop, no questions asked. WARNING: Some students may want to crumble a sheet of paper up and throw it. I tell them this doesn't count as it is not an airplane.

9.  Paper Football: The student who selects this activity must make three paper football field goals in a minute. In order to shoot, however, they must answer a question correctly.  Basically, I ask a question, if they get it correct, they shoot until they make a field goal, then I ask the second question.  I use a pre-made cheap plastic table football set instead of homemade paper footballs. However, the same activity can be done with real paper footballs and a teammate to use his hands to make the field posts. I'm sure every class has a student who knows how to make a paper football, but just in case, here are some instructions.  WARNING: See picture below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laserbread/3505815677/


10. Sort It Out: Teachers use sorts all the time to get their students to categorize information. Why not make it into a competition in which a team must beat the clock? Students must complete a sort in 60 seconds....



You can expect several more activities to be shared in this ongoing M2Wi series...

No comments:

Post a Comment