Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Teaching the California Gold Rush (And Maybe A Few Life Lessons...)

A lot of history is storytelling. Kids love to hear the details and stories of individuals and events in history. The history of the Gold Rush is hard to tell without revealing the story of Sam Brannan. He was a printer, Mormon, and store owner, who made the most of any profitable opportunity he could. One such opportunity came when gold was found in California in 1848.  Sam Brannan, an entrepreneur, became the first millionaire west of the Mississippi River, but died without fame or enough money left to pay for his own funeral. This short clip reveals a bit more about his role in the California Gold Rush and will help you to understand my lesson activity: 


HOW I INTRODUCE THE GOLD RUSH:
I start the class asking students if they have any scissors. For any student that does, I offer them a couple of pawbucks (our school currency) for their scissors. Many of them make the transaction and are excited about the additional money they can spend. The next thing I do is grab a freeze pop that I had hidden from them. I then take a pair of scissors (one of the bunch that I have monopolized) and cut the top and begin to enjoy the treat. 

Freeze Pops are great because they are affordable--100 ct. for $3.77 at WalMart!
Students immediately get excited about the prospects of finding more freeze pops around the room. But, I tell them that they must first have the means to make the freeze pop "worth it", that is, that they must first purchase a pair of scissors before they can seek the "fortune" they desire. Rather than charge the 2-3 pawbucks that I paid for each of their scissors, I now, having the monopoly, charge 15 pawbucks for each pair. Once they pay the price, they can have the scissors and find one freeze pop to enjoy. At the end of the simulation, it's easy for the kids to see and understand what I have done: I have sought to make a profit, somewhat ruthlessly perhaps. I also don't hide the fact that I have gotten "rich" as I wave the pawbucks around enthusiastically or fan a wad of them.


Once I've given everyone a freeze pop and returned their pawbucks and scissors, I show them the video above of Sam Brannan. We talk about profits, entrepreneurs, and the California Gold Rush, and even the San Francisco 49ers (briefly). I share with them the sad path that Sam Brannan's life took after acquiring such wealth--his expulsion from the Mormon church, his messy divorce that cost him half of his holdings, the squandering of his fortunes, his poor life choices that caused health issues, and his lonesome death that went practically unnoticed in southern California.  We talk about success. Was Sam Brannan a success? Even at his wealthiest? What makes one successful? We talk about decision making. Could Sam Brannan have made other decisions in his life that would have led to a more fulfilling life?

Kids enjoy hearing the tragic story of Sam Brannan. I love it too. Sure, it's an opportunity for me to talk about entrepreneurship, determination, and the Gold Rush, but it's also a chance for students to discuss the negative effects of greed, dishonesty, and self-absorption and to consider the positive impact of generosity, honesty, humility, and other-centeredness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment